True Control Center Installation Guide
Customize the Commence Boot Image
Direct link to topic in this publication:
Customize the Commence Boot Image
Now that we have created a custom boot image for Commence, we now need to customize it.
To customize the Commence boot image:
- Start the Configuration Manager Console if it is not already started.
- Click the Software Library workspace.
- Navigate to Overview | Operating Systems | Boot Images
- Right-click the Commence boot image and select Properties
- On the <boot_image_name> Properties screen, click the Customization tab.
- Check the Enable prestart command checkbox.
- In the Command line field, enter the URL to the relevant platform (x86 or x64) subfolder of the Commence folder of your Control Center installation, specifying the port if relevant. For example:
where <port> is the port number the Control Center is running on, for example:
This command line tells Windows PE what it should do first, once the computer has PXE booted and loaded the Commence boot image.
- Check the Include files for the prestart command checkbox then click Browse
|Although not compulsory, we recommend for initial testing that you enable the Enable command support (testing only) check box. In this way, if you encounter any problems when booting a computer using the Commence boot image, you can press F8 which will start a Command Prompt from which you can perform troubleshooting. |
- Browse to the Commence folder containing the Preloader.exe and required DLLs, then click Select Folder for example:
The path entered has to be a UNC path and not a local file path. For example:
It is supported to host the Preloader.exe and required DLLs in a different location such as the site server. The only requirement is that the location has to be shared and accessible to ConfigMgr. If you wish to do this, copy the following files to the new location:
- Click the Data Source tab.
- Check the Deploy this boot image from the PXE-enabled distribution point check box.
- Click the Optional Components tab.
- Verify that at least both of the following components are listed as being part of the boot image:
- Network (WinPE-WDS-Tools)
- Scripting (WinPE-WMI)
- Click the new button ().
- Scroll down the Select optional components screen and select the checkbox beside the Microsoft .NET (WinPE-NetFx) component then click OK
The Microsoft .NET (WinPE-NetFx) component will now be listed under the Components section of the Optional Components tab.
- Click OK to add the Microsoft .NET (WinPE-NetFx) component to the Commence boot image.
- Click Yes on the Configuration Manager dialog box stating:
You have made changes that require you to update distribution points with a new version of this package. Do you want Configuration Manager to update the distribution points now?
- On the Summary page, click Next
The Progress screen is shown while the changes are being made.
|This process can take an extended period of time to complete, appearing to freeze at 42% and 71%. The process will eventually complete.|
- On the Completion page, click Close once your distribution points have been updated successfully.
|Leave the ConfigMgr console open as it is required in the next section. |
Now you have finished customizing your Boot Image for Commence, the next stage is to distribute it to your PXE-enabled distribution points.