Self Service & Analyst Portal - Community
Managing Enumerations for Knowledge Base
Direct link to topic in this publication:
Some enumerations are created and managed in the Cireson Portal and stored only in the ServiceManagement database. These enumerations are related to the HTML Knowledge Base but may expand to other types of enumerations in the future. The following steps describe how to manage those enumerations. All other enumerations are managed in the SCSM console and those changes are replicated to the ServiceManagement cache database via cache builder.
Navigate to the Enumeration Settings option in the upper right user menu.
On the main page you will see a list of editable enumerations. Click the one you want to edit.
Now the main edit screen displays. This page is comprised of three editable areas:
- Enumeration list name. Changes the name of the enumeration.
- Enumeration list values. Here you can add, remove, reorder and rename values. You can do this in the root level as well as any number of child levels deep.
- Localized enumeration display strings. Allows you to edit the localized string.
Editing list values
Adding Values to the current level in the tree: When the page first loads, the current level is the root level in the list. If you click the 'Add Value' button it will add a new item in the list at the root level. In order to add a sibling to a nested list, you need to select an existing item in the level and click 'Add Value'.
Adding children: Select the item in the list that you want to be the parent and click 'Add Child'.
Changing the name of values in the list: Select the item you want to edit. With that item selected look at the 'Localized Enumeration Strings' area to see the display string for all available languages. In order to change it click on the text in the DisplayString column. To change the name in your local language make sure you select your languages LocaleId.
Deleting an item from the list: Select the item you want to be removed and click 'Delete Value'. NOTE: deleting a parent with also delete all the descendant items.
Reordering items: Reordering is done by dragging the items to where you want them in the list. Mouse over the arrow icon to the left of the list items then click and drag it to where you want it. You should see a faint line appear as you are hovering over where you want to drop it. This line indicates where it will be placed. To move an item as a child of another item you can drag the item and drop it on top of that item. You should see a '+' icon display when it will be put in as a child.
When done editing click 'Save' at the bottom of the page. After it saves you will see a green bar on the top indicating the changes were saved successfully
Sometimes it is necessary to disable or hide an enumeration from the Cireson Portal. The two most common cases are:
- Enumerations that are provided out of the box in SCSM that are in a sealed management pack and therefore cannot be modified but the enumerations are not wanted. Example: Service Request area enumerations or incident source enumerations.
- An enumeration has been in use for some time and now needs to be "retired".
An enumeration can be disabled by making a database update to the ServiceManagement database as follows:
- The first step is to determine the enumeration ID of the enumeration that you want to disable. You can refer to the How to Determine the Root Enumeration GUID of an Enumeration Data Type Property knowledge base article for how to find enumeration IDs in general. Although that article was written to help find the *root* enumeration ID, the techniques can also be used to determine the ID of any enumeration.
- Once you have the enumeration ID of the enumeration that you want to disable, run the following query in the ServiceManagement DB:
UPDATE Enumeration SET Enabled = 0 WHERE EnumerationID = 'the ID'
- Restart the Cireson Portal web site.